Thursday, June 2, 2011

Turkey Chili Mac

I will admit it, I can be a snob when it comes to food. Sure, I can get down and eat some Velveeta, cheeseburger, or the occasional ramen noodle...but I don't like it. I typically feel like crap after eating it not only because of the redonkulous amounts of sodium, but since I have been buying "clean" foods for a few years now, I feel like I get physically ill from the preservatives and not to mention thinking about all of the crimes against farmers, the environment, and the consumer by some of the major companies out there. So when my husband asked me oh say, a couple of years ago, if I would make him chili mac, all I could think about was Hamburger Helper. I stuck up my nose at the thought.

I have been working out like a maniac lately (mainly because it is the first time I have ever enjoyed it) and was ready for a yummy carb meal. I broke down, and started trying to figure out a happy median for us to both have chili mac. We very rarely eat beef anymore, especially ground beef. If we are going to eat it-it's going to be in steak form. So I used ground turkey, a smaller amount, and added extra veggies. I think next time I may do it vegetarian and add beans instead of turkey all together. He enjoyed it and said it combined all of the favorites when it comes to "man food": Macaroni and Cheese, Nachos, and Pizza. I enjoyed it as well, and I know it is going to taste even better tomorrow.

Turkey Chili Mac (serves 4)
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, small diced
1/2 red bell pepper, small diced
1 T chili powder
1 T ground cumin
1/4-1/2 t red chili flakes
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T brown sugar
1/2 pound ground turkey
2 cups water
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
2 cups elbow macaroni
1c Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
1c Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Set a large deep pan or pot over medium heat and add the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, red chili flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the garlic and brown sugar and cook, about 30 seconds.  Add the ground turkey and cook until done.
Stir the water and tomato sauce into the ground turkey mixture in the pan.  Add the pasta and stir to combine.  Cover the pan and increase the heat to medium-high.  Cook until the pasta is done, stirring frequently to prevent the pasta from sticking.
Turn off the heat, and add 1/2 cup of each cheese.  Stir to melt the cheese.  Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and cover the pan again.  Let stand for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment