Friday, June 17, 2011

Bonkers for Blueberries

OK, so I will admit it...I am a sucker for produce one day sales. At Whole Foods, they were having an organic blueberry one day sale ($1.99 a pint) so I bought a case. This was no small feat, because I am very particular about my blueberries (and berries in general). To me, there is nothing worse than a blueberry water bomb-mealy and no flavor. Runner up are blueberries that are tart with no flavor. These blueberries were sweet and perfect in texture. What am I going to do with a case? I'm going to freeze a bunch for smoothies and cook with the rest. I have two blueberry recipes for you so far. First up is a Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade, lightly sweetened and one of my favorite flavor combos-blueberry and lemon. Then a blueberry guacamole (yes, blueberry guacamole).

Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade (makes about 2 quarts)

2c fresh blueberries
1c fresh lemon juice
2/3c sugar
6c sparkling water (you can use regular water if you prefer)

Place blueberries into a medium size bowl. Pour a small amount of hot water into the bowl-just enough to cover the bottom. With a potato masher, crush the blueberries. Pour blueberries through a fine sieve. (if you do not have a fine sieve, pulse the blueberries in a blender until smooth-you will have some blueberry flecks in your lemonade, but it will taste fine). Add the lemon juice and sugar, stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the water and chill until you are ready to serve.

Hmm, maybe with some vodka? (Sorry for the bad picture, I made this at work)

Blueberry Guacamole (makes about 3 cups)

1 large avocado
1/2 red onion, finely diced
2c blueberries
2T lime juice
1/2 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, minced
Salt and Pepper-to taste

Cut avocado in half and scoop into a bowl. Add lime juice and jalapeno. Mash until almost smooth. Add 1/2 cup of blueberries and mashed until the blueberries have popped. Add the rest of the blueberries, stir to combine and season with salt and pepper. Boom. Easy.


Super good. Creaminess of the avocado, a little spice, and sweetness from the blueberries
 Now this guacamole is great as a chip dip or as a sandwich spread. I made a wrap by spreading fresh goat cheese on a tortilla, top with turkey and guacamole. I could have eaten twelve of these.
Or for an hors d'oeuvres....

Cute, right?
That's it for blueberries right now, possibly more recipes to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment