Sunday, June 12, 2011

Shrimp Boil and My Lament of Florida

Sometimes I really dislike living in Raleigh...ok a lot. I miss living in Florida. I miss the food, the people, being close to the beach, the Riverside area, my family, did I mention the food? Having access to some prime seafood used to bring me great joy. Going to the fish market to pick out dinner, seeing the shipment of seafood come in to the restaurant and opening it like it was a Christmas present, and going to hole in the wall restaurants and chowing down on good simple food. Why did I move? Simple. Love. My now husband lived here in Raleigh, fresh off of active duty in the military, and I wanted to be here with him. Don't get me wrong, no regrets whatsoever, but I just miss it. I think what I miss most is what they call Salt Life. The people generally just want to get some sun, eat, have a drink, and listen to good music. Kind of reminds me of what Marcus Samuelsson said about Africa and "Ubuntu" (mentioned in my first post) The hustle and bustle of Raleigh gets to me...Maybe I just need to visit Florida more often....

So, now that you have listened (or read) my bitching, we can get down to business. I missed Florida one day and to raise my spirits (and cholesterol) I decided to treat my husband and I to a shrimp boil. This is one of the easiest meals to whip together, but so enjoyable. This is how my family throws down and something I wanted to share with him-crowding over a big bowl, getting your hands dirty, and looking over and smiling at each other...and a cold beverage.

First, if you have not met, let me introduce you to Old Bay Seasoning. This is seafood magic and a staple in everyone in my family's kitchen. Celery salt, spices like ginger, mace, and bay penetrate anything you put in on. In this recipe, you make an Old Bay bath for shrimp, potatoes, corn, sausages, and whatever you want to throw in the hot tub.

Shrimp Boil (serves 2)
1 pound large shrimp, 21/25 or larger
2 ears of fresh corn, shucked and silks removed, cut in 1/2
6 new potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
2 links of smoked sausage, like andouille or chorizo, cut into 1 1/2 in slices
10c of water
1/4c Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 stick of butter



In a very large pot, bring water and Old Bay to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Next, add the corn and cook for another 3 minutes. Finally add shrimp and boil for 2 minutes, or just until they are pink throughout. Strain through a colander and place in a large bowl. Add butter and toss to coat. Serve with a lot of paper towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment