Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hasselback Potatoes: Fancy Up Your Baked Potatoes

My husband wanted to cook (meaning me) dinner for his dad for Father's Day. I thought it was a great idea, because I knew that his dad appreciated good food, and I love cooking for people like that. I wanted to treat him to a great traditional steak dinner, with a twist. I made these Hasselback Potatoes. Don't get me wrong, this is a baked potato, but it is a baked potato that has it's nails done and it's hair did. Originated in Sweden, these potatoes come out soft on the inside and crisp on the outside. I made a parmesan herb butter to go on top (made with herbs from my own garden-thankyouverymuch), but the possibilities are endless with what you can do with these beauties.

Hasselback Potatoes (serves 4)

4 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and dried
Olive oil
1/2 stick butter, softened
3T grated parmesan cheese
2T fresh herbs (I used basil, parsley, and rosemary)
Salt and Pepper-to taste

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Take a potato and slice thinly, but not completely through.
Tip: Stab a potato with a skewer to use as a "stop guide" or place your potato on a wooden spoon, stop your slice when your knife hits the spoon.
Rub the outside and in between your cuts with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet, season with salt, and bake for 40 minutes.
To make parmesan herb butter: Add butter to a small bowl. Add parmesan and herbs, mix to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
When potatoes are done, top with a good bit of the butter. Potato will be easy and neat to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment