Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lunch Edition

I have been really lazy about posting, so here are a couple of recipes...

I made up a bunch of easy to grab, cheap lunches. I have also been lazy about bringing my lunch to work, which has been costly as well as not as healthy as it should be. Sometimes I get into these moods where I like to cook enough for the apocalyspe. So I came home and cooked enough lunches to last the husband and I for a week...at least.

White Bean and Spinach Salad (4 lunches)
This was the salad that I was trying to make in a previous post. Healthy and inexpensive, this salad is perfect for a lunch that is light and filling.

2 cans not salt added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1c spinach, finely chopped
2T red onion, finely diced
3T olive oil
3T red wine vinegar
1t dijon mustard
1t fresh basil, chopped
black pepper-to taste

Place the beans, spinach, and onion in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Pour over the beans and spinach and lightly toss to coat.


Tuna Pasta Salad (2 lunches)
This is one of my favorite lunches. I love peas, and in this recipe it add a pop of bright freshness. I go very light on the mayo and add a bite from the red onion. I am gluten free-so I used quinoa pasta.

1 can tuna, drained
2T red onion, finely chopped
1/2c frozen green peas, thawed
2c cooked pasta
1/4c mayonnaise
1t dijon mustard
black pepper to taste

Place tuna in a bowl and with a fork flake until broken down into small pieces. Add the onions and peas. Stir in the mayonnaise and mustard. Add pasta and toss to coat. Season with black pepper to taste.



Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Pasta Salad (2 lunches)
I made this one for my husband. Something a little bit more substantial and full of flavor. Can be eaten warm or cold

1 boneless skinless chicken breast
salt, black pepper, garlic, and lemon juice- to taste
2 1/2c cooked pasta
5 asparagus spears
10 cherry tomatoes
3 crimini mushrooms, sliced
3T fresh goat cheese
Olive Oil

Combine salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon juice in a bowl. Add the chicken breast and marinate for 30 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine the tomatoes, asparagus, and mushrooms and drizzle very lightly with olive oil. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken breast on the hottest part of the grill and the vegetables on a cooler spot. Cook until the chicken breast is thoroughly cooked and the vegetables are slightly charred and tender. Allow the chicken and vegetables to cool, then chop the chicken and slice the asparagus into fourths. In a bowl, add the chicken, vegetables and pasta. Add enough olive oil to coat and crumble the goat cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment