Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Husband Cooks and I Overcook the Beans

So, I decided I wanted to make a white bean salad to have for lunches. I went to the store and they were out of the no salt added cannellini beans, so I bought some dry from the bulk section. (By the way, I always buy no salt added everything-beans, stocks, canned tomatoes, etc...that way I can control the salt level) If you are ever in a Whole Foods and see one of these books, grab it, it has charts for all of the beans, lentils, rice, nuts, grains, and flours they have and how to cook them, whether they need to soak, etc.
So, I soaked the beans in the morning before I ran my errands. I cover them with cold water in a Tupperware and leave them on the counter, that way they were ready when I came back
Came back, put them on to simmer, and sat on the couch to watch a movie....and I fell asleep. I wake up, say oh crap, and run into the kitchen. Mushy cannellini beans. Crap. I didn't want to throw them away, so I made a white bean dip with them.

Curried White Bean Dip: Serves....a lot.
4c cooked cannellini beans
1-2T olive oil
1T curry powder
juice of 1 lemon
1T chopped chives
Salt- to taste

Combine the beans, curry powder, and lemon, into a food processor. Slowly add in the olive oil until desired texture. Season with salt and fold in the chives. I served it with naan.

Next time I am going to make it with herbs, truffle oil, and spread it on bruschetta....

And now, for what the husband cooked. Pasta with Shrimp. He added mushrooms, red peppers, onions, and garlic to a simple jarred marinara sauce....and cooked the shrimp perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment