Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Two Ingredient Biscuits-A Cook That Hates Baking's Biscuit

We were planning on an Easter brunch with my family, and my mom insisted on not letting me do all the cooking, so I told her to bring her biscuits. I am a cook....not a baker...It was the only class in culinary school that I made a "B" in, and that is because I was miserable. When the chef I was doing an internship for found out that I was in baking, decided to "help" me by taking me off Garde Manger (salads and cold hors d'oeuvres)and Poissonnier (fish and seafood), which I loved and put me in charge of all baking and desserts. Daily focaccia making, souffle watching, 400 biscotti baking (not exaggerating), and creating 2 new dessert items daily. Torture. I don't like the exactness of it all. I cook in the moment, if it needs something...I add it! With baking, if you decide to add something on a whim, you would end up with a kitchen disaster. These biscuits however, I can handle. Two ingredients, getting your hands dirty, and the dough is done when it feels right. They are fluffy, substantial, and perfect plain, or with my favorite-apple butter. Here is my mom's biscuit recipe. Please excuse the free-spiritness of this recipe. It is what it is.

Two Ingredient Biscuits (seriously) Serves: how ever many you make

Self Rising Flour
Heavy Whipping Cream

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, add several cups of self rising flour. Dig a well in the center, and add a small amount of cream. Add some of the flour from the sides, and work into the cream until absorbed. Add more cream, then flour, and continue until you have as much dough as you want. It should not be sticky, should mold easily, with out flaking apart. Tear a small handful, and mold into a circle 2 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. Lay on a baking sheet and brush the tops with cream. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment