Friday, April 22, 2011

Curried Lentils and Brown Rice

This is definitely one of my comfort foods. When nothing else sounds appealing, this is what I make. Simple as that. Healthy and inexpensive to make, this dish is perfect in the cooler months, on a rainy day, or if you are like me and just want something good for you. I used long grain brown rice, and if brown rice is not your thing, you can use white-just add it in the last 15 minutes of cooking instead of the beginning. Short grain brown rice works nicely as well if you like that nutty crunch. I pretty much add spinach to any hot dish I can, as well as lemon juice. Before you salt something, add a little lemon juice. Sometimes all you need is a little acidity, not the extra sodium....it works wonders...trust me. When in season, I serve this with halved cherry tomatoes on top, which adds a pop of freshness along with the spinach.

Curried Lentils and brown rice (makes 4 side dishes or 2 entrees)
1/2c brown rice
1 red onion, small dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2T olive oil
1T curry powder
2c water
1T lemon juice
1/2c green lentils
4c fresh spinach, roughly chopped
pinch red chili flakes
salt-to taste

In a medium pot heat oil over medium high heat. add the rice, onion, and garlic. Saute until onion starts to turn translucent. Add curry powder, then the water, lemon juice, lentils, and chili flakes. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until tender. Stir in chopped spinach, remove from heat and cover for 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste, add more chili flakes is desired.

And yes, I ate this out of a mug...because...why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment