Thursday, September 8, 2011

Restaurant Review: The Pit


My cousin and her boyfriend were in town from Florida, and wanted some good, traditional Carolina barbecue. I didn't want to take them to a "feed trough" so we went to The Pit. My husband and I had been to The Pit before and for the most part enjoyed ourselves. This time we were pretty disappointed...

First off, they have what they spend five minutes explaining to you-team service. They mean for you to be able to ask anyone for service and to always be taken care of. I find it confusing and impersonal. One person sat us, one poured our drinks, and then we sat. It seems like everyone expected someone else to have their turn. I finally flagged a waiter down and told him we were ready to order, and he replied "Let me get your waitress" (kind of defeats the purpose, huh?)

I ordered the pulled pork plate with fried okra and macaroni and cheese, as well as my cousin who got different sides, my husband got ribs, and her boyfriend got the beef brisket. Everything on my plate lacked flavor. The pork was plain, I assume to add the sauce of your liking, the okra was decent, and the macaroni and cheese was, well, pretty cheeseless. A pet peeve of mine also came out on that plate-lukewarm food. It seems like everything sat in a steam table until served, instead of pulled off the smoker or out of the oven. I turned to my fellow diners, all food enthusiasts, and no one said a word. (and not in the no-news-is-good-news kind of way) Slowly everyone piped up agreeing that everything was just okay.

As a cook, I find it mortifying when I suggest a restaurant expecting a good dining experience and am left empty handed. The Pit lacks flavor, service, and is overpriced. We would have been better off going to a hole in the wall or fast food barbecue restaurant. The only thing The Pit really has going for it is the decor. Too bad there were not a whole lot of customers there to fill this beautiful restaurant....


The Pit on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment