Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cacio e Pepe

I was watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations where he travels to Italy. I wish I had been a  notable chef a decade and a half ago, because he has my dream job. I have often wanted to write war stories from the kitchen and travel from one end of the earth to the other. Sometimes, I really dislike him because he can be so bitter and cynical...but I guess that is a part of his charm as well. He sat down at this little cafe and ordered Cacio e Pepe, an amazingly simple dish that he was having a culinary orgasm over. I watched how the chef made it on the show and wanted to see what the fuss was about. I get it.

Cacio e Pepe (serves 4)
8 ounces spaghetti (I used an angel hair instead)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
1 1/2c freshly grated parmesan cheese

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add your pasta. Cook until al dente. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium and add the pepper. Allow to cook for one minute. Using tongs or one of those noodle thingies, Add the pasta to the pan and toss to coat. Add the parmesan cheese and a 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Stir to incorporate and add more pasta water, if necessary, to create a light coating of sauce. Serve immediately and garnish with more cheese and pepper.

If you do not own a microplane, get one..STAT. It makes what I like to call cheese snow

No comments:

Post a Comment