Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Edamame Soba Salad

Even though we have been officially vegan for 3 days, it seems like longer. So far so good. We both felt sick yesterday-chills, headache, and cold like symptoms. I think we were detoxing some, but today we have both felt much better. It is forcing me to think, be creative, and to not be lazy. Of course I have known how to leave animal products out all along, but now it is trying to make it a full meal that is filling, satisfying, and exciting.  Even though I felt horrible yesterday, I still cooked dinner (when typically we probably would have ordered delivery). I think the money we will save on eating out alone will be stellar. This is a simple recipe I whipped up for lunch today with what I had in the fridge and pantry. I will tweak and add new veggies next time-mainly I wanted to see if we would like it. (and we did!) Asparagus and mushrooms would have been amazing!

Edamame Soba Salad (makes 2-3 entrees or 4-6 sides)
6 oz soba noodles
1/2 cup carrot, julienne
1/4 red bell pepper, small dice
1/2 cup shelled edamame
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach, chiffonade (shredded)
1T sesame oil
2 t rice wine vinegar
1T Bragg's Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
1/4 t dijon mustard
1 t fresh ginger, minced
Sriracha (hot chili sauce) to taste
2 T fresh chives, thinly sliced

Cook soba noodles according to directions on the box. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, aminos, mustard, and ginger. Mix well and season with sriracha. Drain the soba noodles well. (I even patted them dry with a paper towel) Place in a large bowl and add the vegetables. Pour dressing on top and toss to coat the veggies and noodles. Season again with sriracha if necessary and add chives. Serve room temp or chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment