Monday, July 25, 2011

Farmers' Market Finds & Cabernet Marinara

With my job, I have to work pretty much every Saturday (bummer). I did a favor for my boss this week on my typical day off, teaching a farm to fork class to teenagers (which I love to do), so she gave me Saturday off. First thought- "I can go to the Farmers' Market!". Yes, we have the State Farmers' Market that is open practically everyday, but I have a thing about the State Market. Last time I went I was underwhelmed and disappointed by the products from outside of NC being sold. If I wanted that, I'd go to the grocery store. However, we have a couple of other, smaller markets open on Saturdays. My husband and I went to the highly suggested Midtown Farmers' Market that takes over the streets of North Hills Mall from eight until noon. A small number of farmers, bakers, and artisans line the streets, setting up baskets, tables, and truck beds of gorgeous produce, meats, and breads. With a new puppy, we were up quite early, and got there right at eight when they opened.

This is the best retail therapy. I was in my element. My husband commented on how I talk with farmers like I have known them all of my life. I have. I grew up surrounded by farmers of all types and have had the fortune to travel to farms for my job. Farmers are some of the most fascinating people you will ever meet. Highly intelligent and detailed like scientists, local advocates, foodies, and down to earth human beings. I dream of having enough land some day to grow vegetables and a few goats to make cheese.

I bought a ton of tomatoes, especially the discounted "uglies". If you ever come across these, buy them up! There is nothing wrong with these guys, they simply do not appearperfection appeal. If you are making any sort of sauce, salsa, or canning, save a dollar a pound with these.

Hardly ugly, right?
Along with our uglies, we bought green tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, heirloom peppers, onions, garlic, soshito peppers, flowers, green and purple okra, caramelized onion focaccia, and a cinnamon pecan roll that he lusted over. All for exactly $40. First, I made this Cabernet Marinara Sauce. I was thrilled to have a mini project for the weekend, and am now convinced to go back this Saturday (another one off!) to buy enough for another batch. If you are going to make your own pasta sauce, do it when tomatoes are in season! Nothing is worse than a water bomb of a tomato. If not, canned are perfectly fine, I would recommend using a no salt added one.


Cabernet Marinara (makes about 3 1/2 cups)
8 medium tomatoes (I used a combination of red and yellow uglies), small dice and in a bowl to save juices
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 carrot, small dice
1 small onion, small dice
2 cloves garlic
1 small bell pepper, small dice
3/4c-1c Cabernet Sauvignon (I used a reasonably priced one from Fish Eye-also good to drink!)
1 teaspoon of dried Italian herb seasoning
1 tablespoon fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
Red Pepper Flakes to taste



Let's take a second to look at these gorgeous colors! (no, that is not eggplant, that is a heirloom bell pepper!)

A ton of juice that is left after your tomatoes have been sitting for 5 minutes! Perfect cooking liquid that will add the concentrated tomato flavor.

Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add carrots and bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes. Add onion and cook for another 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add dried herbs and tomatoes, reserving the juice for later use. Bring tomatoes to a boil and add 1/2 cup of wine. Add 1/2 cup of tomato juices and boil until the liquid is reduced by half. Add other 1/4 cup wine and 1/4 cup of juice. Season with salt, pepper, and pepper flakes. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding up to another 1/4 cup of wine and 1/2 cup of juice as needed for consistency.

If you like your sauce really chunky, you are done! If you like a semi-chunky sauce, lightly puree half of the sauce and fold back into the rest. For a smoother sauce, lightly puree all of the sauce. Add the fresh basil and parsley.
If you have any leftover tomato juice, don't throw it away!
Add a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs and you have a wonderful salad dressing!

Stay tuned for more of my farmers' market recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment