Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Kind of Granola

I love granola, but very rarely buy it because the majority of them are actually not healthy. Loaded with sugar and oil, I think it defeats the purpose of purchasing it. I have been on the search for years for a great granola recipe that is only lightly sweetened, non greasy, and my other stipulation- I don't like granola clumps. I like very loose granola that you can actually sprinkle. My coworker visited the Pacific Northwest recently and fell in love with the granola at the bed and breakfast where she stayed. She was given the recipe, made it when she got back, and brought me a snack bag. I found it. I immediately asked for the recipe and tweaked it from there. With only a quarter of a cup of honey, syrup, and oil to four cups of oats, this is the perfect ratio. Simple to make, add the "goodies" of your choosing, and it comes out perfectly sweet and clump free.

Langley Granola
4c oats (no quick oats)
1/4c sesame seeds
1 big handful of walnuts
1 handful of pecans
2-3T ground ginger
1/4c honey
1/4c maple syrup*
1/4c vegetable or canola oil

*My mom is diabetic, so we made a batch for her using 1/2c agave nectar instead of the honey and syrup and added 1 teaspoon of maple flavoring....good lower glycemic option!

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl well to coat the oats. Spread over a large baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Dried fruit

Roasted, unsalted nuts
Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

When granola has cooked, remove from the oven and add any dried fruit, pepitas, and roasted nuts you would like. Let cool completely and store in an air tight container.

Rule of Thumb: Any raw nuts add before cooking, any already roasted nuts add after cooking.

I added chopped dried apricots, dried blueberries, and slivered almonds

No comments:

Post a Comment