Sunday, August 21, 2011

Haitian Red Beans and Rice

Such a bad blogger...I have learned acceptance over the past couple of months (not an easy lesson to learn) while dealing with way too much bullshit in our life, but I am feeling better now, so here we go!

I have had the fortune of visiting the wonderful country of Haiti twice in my life. Words cannot begin to describe the experience I had, the things I learned, and still carry with me until this day. Learning about another culture, true poverty, but also finding joy in what you have and celebrate at sixteen is something I am eternally grateful for. I also was a somewhat picky eater before going to Haiti, but with access to only what you are given and realizing that was a lot more than what others had, changed my tune, and I found to like a lot more flavors than I thought I did. For breakfast we would typically have fresh pineapple (the best pineapple you could ever imagine) and pastries donning back to the French occupation of the island. Amazing pastries. Lunch is not typically eaten, so we fended for ourselves-mainly snacking on meat pies from street vendors (very Bourdain), or baguettes with cheese. Dinner was a different animal entirely (literally). Spicy goat stew, soups, chicken (that I swore I saw that morning pecking around outside), and a staple item- red beans and rice. Flavors, flavors, flavors, out of simple ingredients, a cooking philosophy that I adopted when I began culinary school. Lavender Scented Blueberry Biscuits with Lemon Chantilly Creme, no thanks.

Haitian Red Beans and Rice (serves 4-6)
1/4c butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2c tomato sauce
2c kidney beans, cooked*
1t dried thyme
2t dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1c white rice
1 3/4c water
1 scotch bonnet pepper**

*You can used can, I recommend no salt added. If you use dried, soak 3/4c dried beans overnight (they will expand!), drain, add to a pot and cover with water. Simmer for 1-1/2 hours, drain and add to your recipe.
**Scotch Bonnets are spicy. You can use a habanero as a substitution. Depending on how spicy you want it, remove the seeds and ribs. If you want something milder, use a chipotle or jalapeno. You can mince the pepper for a spicier rice, or leave it whole and remove during the cooking process when you have reached your spice level.

Heat butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add tomato sauce, beans, dried herbs, and scotch bonnet. Simmer 5-10 minutes. Stir in the rice and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment