Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Strawberry Madness

Strawberries are in season. Oh happy day! When strawberries are in season, I could eat a container a day. Cut up, in my cereal, on my salad, with cheese....ok I'm getting all Bubba Gump on you. There was a one day strawberry sale at the store-local, organic strawberries for $1.99/lb, needless to say I bought a flat. My eyes were bigger than my strawberry stomach. I knew I needed to use them quickly, since they were organic. I froze some as an easy solution and kept a couple fresh for me to use. I also wanted to experiment a little bit, so here is what I came up with

Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette: (makes 4 entree salad's worth)
5 strawberries, hulled and halved
3T balsamic vinegar
2T olive oil
1Thoney
1t lemon juice
Salt and Pepper

Blend all together and store. Will last 1 week.
Isn't that the most precious salad dressing you have ever seen? Sweet, tangy, and thick-coats your salad  perfectly.

Strawberry Basil Jam: (makes 2 cups)
1lb strawberries, hulled and halved
2c sugar
2T lemon juice
1T fresh basil, finely chopped

Combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon in a large heavy bottomed pot. Bring to a boil. Using a potato masher or whisk, mash the strawberries. Boil until it reaches 220 degrees, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and add basil, pour into a glass container. Will keep in the refrigerator for 1 month.

Definitely a sweet jam that will be perfect with your breakfast toast, pancakes, or french toast.

Strawberry Noir Jam: (makes 1 cup)
2c strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/2c sugar
1t lemon juice
1T pinot noir
Combine the strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a large heavy bottomed pot. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and stir in wine. Will keep in the refrigerator for 1 month.

Not as sweet as the one before, great cheese accompaniment 

No comments:

Post a Comment